The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1918 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1918

Stronghurst Graphic, April 25, 1918 

PAST THE MINIMUM: As forecasted, the Liberty Loan drive for Henderson County has gone way beyond her minimum quota and is still climbing, thus proving her loyalty and removing the cloud under which she has rested since the results of the two former loan campaigns were made known which showed her to be at the bottom of the list of counties in the federal reserve district...A total of $255,050 in subscription is reported or $17,450 over our quota..

ALTONA POSTMASTER STEALS: Ben L. Hart, postmaster at Altona for a number of years has been found guilty of embezzlement and is sentenced to spend two years at Leavenworth and to pay a fine of $1,248. Hart ran the post office in connection with his drug store there. He has a wife and three children. It is said that he has always borne a good reputation and his neighbors are much surprised at the outcome.

KILLS CHILD: Orville Reynolds of Cameron and Miss Fern M. Sutherland of Galesburg loved too well and not wisely. They decided to make the best of their predicament and in January last were married. They took up their home in Fort Madison and in February or March a child was born to them. Had they confessed their wrongdoing and lived the remainder of their lives honestly and honorably, their misstep would have been forgotten by their friends and life might have brought comfort and satisfaction to them. They took care of their baby until it was three weeks old and the woman who kept the boarding house where they lived said it was an unusually sweet and attractive child.

Seized with an insane desire to get rid of the child, the father gave it carbolic acid and then choked it to death. Noticing that the child had disappeared, the landlady made inquiry about it. The evasion and contradictory answers made by the father aroused the woman's suspicions and she reported the affair to the coroner. When confronted by an officer, Reynolds admitted that the baby was dead and that he had taken the body across the river. He went and brought the child back, but it was dead and the causes of its death were soon ascertained.

Reynolds and his wife were locked up, and this week the former was tried for murder at Fort Madison. (Didn't waste any time back then.)He made a confession and was sent to the penitentiary for life. He is said to be suffering greatly from remorse and during the trial was on the verge of collapse. The mother declined to plead guilty and her trial was postponed until September.

It is said that Reynolds and his wife both belong to good families and that this is their first experience in the courts. It is not improbable that they will have the benefit of executive clemency after they have served a few years in case Mrs. Reynolds is found guilty, for both are young and lacking in judgment and experience. But with the brand of Cain stamped on them, it would seem that it would make little difference whether they spend the remainder of their lives in prison or elsewhere.

GRADUATES AS VETERINARIAN: John R. Mudd states that he successfully passed his examination at the Veterinarian college in Chicago which he has been attending for several years and that the graduating exercises of his class was to take place April 23rd. John wishes to announce that

he will locate in Stronghurst and be in the practice of his profession on May 1, 1918.

A FOUR FLAG FAMILY: A Stronghurst family is entitled to have a four-star service flag fluttering from their modest housetop. It is the family of Bert Putney. Bert has been in France since last fall. His oldest son, Ernest, is in camp at Charleston, S.C.; his second son, Alvah, is at

Deming, N.M.; and now a third son, Virgil, left for Jefferson Barracks and in all probability, all of these will soon be seeing service across the big pond.(Atlantic Ocean)

1893 GRAPHIC: A well six feet in diameter and containing eight feet of water situated on the R.H.Kirby farm near Dallas City was reported to be still frozen solid on April 17th. Wm. Wilsher had just purchased a house in the village and 80 acres north of town for which he paid $50 per acres. A horse on which Wm. Hartquist was riding on the farm he operated south of Stronghurst, fell and rolled over on him. One of Mr. Hartquist's legs was broken above the knee and twisted back under him.

He remained in a helpless condition for over an hour before his cries were heard and medical aid summoned. The State Bank of Henderson County opened its door on April 23rd. For something over a year the bank had been operated as a private institution by Joseph Dixson and Nat Bruen. Horse raisers in this section were discouraged over the low price of horses and attributed the same to the adoption of the cable and electric system for city street railroads. (Streetcars) Mrs. John Gilliland was severely burned when her clothing ignited while she was attempting to light a gasoline stove. Neighbors hearing her screams ran to her assistance and smothered the flames with a piece of carpet which they threw around her.

RED CROSS NOTES: Mrs. C.C.Butler accompanied by Mrs. A.L. Russler and Mrs. W.H.Wells went to Oquawka to attend the Henderson County Red Cross meeting. Mr. Gordon, the newly elected county chairman presided over the meeting. A field secretary explained the rules governing the work and making a strong plea for loyalty to those rules. He told the audience that it is not a question of personal pleasure or feelings and if these are allowed to affect the work, then members would be traitors to the boys "over there."

One rule disappointed the Stronghurst delegation: nothing from the Red Cross workshop can be given to the boys when they go away. All Red Cross funds and material are government property and can only go through the authorized channels. Private individuals or organizations outside of the Red Cross can outfit the boys if they choose. The boys will receive everything they need when they reach camp.

At the executive meeting following, two shipping points for the county were selected: towns along the Burlington R.R. will ship from Oquawka; town on or adjacent to the Santa Fe will ship from Stronghurst where an inspection committee from there will have charge of the shipping. A recent letter orders that no more surgical dressing classes can be formed until further notice.

HENDERSON COUNTY HAPPENINGS: CARMAN -Ray McIntire and family returned home from Weona, Ark where he had been working in the drainage district. Cyrus Bigger is quite sick at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Bigger, north of town. At the school election, Mrs. Walter Howell was elected director for three years. The Red Cross presented the boys who are going into U.S. service with a comfort kit and sweater at the hall; those who have not received theirs may have them by calling on the president, Mrs. Eliza Brown. (Obviously, they had not heard about the rules issued in Oquawka or chose to ignore them!)

LOMAX - T. Clover was elected school director. Raleigh Wyatt moved his household effects to Ft. Madison. Ivo Smiddy has improved his lot with a neat wire fence. John Dowell, Gus Nixon and T.A.Strickler shelled out their corn. N.F.Castle ,who closed out his entire stock, has departed for Douglas Wyo., where he will settle on a government claim. Chief Gunner Waite of the British Navy gave a very interesting address at the church; it stirred up enthusiasm.

SMITHSHIRE -Thomas J. Lamoreaux died from blood poisoning after a week's illness and the service was held at his residence five miles south of town with interment at Ellison Cemetery. A number of young people of Wever Academy put on a patriotic play entitled "Claim Allowed." The school held a program celebrating the hundredth anniversary of the admission of Illinois into statehood. An elm tree was planted by the scholars to commemorate the occasion. Lots of little chickens are being hatched this spring, but reports seem general that the cold weather is not doing them any good. Ellison Township has gone "over the top" in the most gratifying shape in the Third Liberty Loan and it is believed that the township in 99.999 per loyal.

***OBITUARY***THOMAS JEFFERSON LAMOR-EAUX, son of Josiah and Ellen Major Lamoreaux, was born in Lehman Center, Pennsylvania Feb.15, 1858. He departed this life after an week's illness on April 18th, 1918, aged 60 years, 2 months and 3 days. He united in marriage with Miss Anna Horten at Galesburg on Feb.10, 1892 and three sons were born to the union: Frank F. Fred M., who died at ten years, and Wilbur Lawrence at home.

He was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, No. 921 of Smithshire, the Modern Woodmen of American No. 1168, and a member of the Tri-State Union No.5 of Roseville. He was never a member of any church, but accepted Christ a few hours before his death and received the ordinances of baptism as administered by the Methodist Church.

Besides his faithful wife and two sons, he leaves two brother, Dr. Robert Lamoreaux of Omaha, Neb., Ora Lamoreaux of Hasting, Neb. and one sister, Mrs. Chas. McKinney, Clinton, Rhode Island.

GLADSTONE - On Friday at the school house a Patron's day program was given by Rev. Russell and Rev. Whitmeyer. The commencement exercises of the Class of 1918 was held at the U.P. church with a class of ten boys and eight girls graduating. Dr. McMichael of Monmouth College gave the address. Prof. Blackstone and the graduates went to Burlington to have their picture taken. O.Ogle, who is called to war, has sold his elevator to a Mr. Weigand of Biggsville. Mr. Albert Hays moved from the Geo. Knox farm north of town to the Simpson house. The school election was quite exciting with several cars running taking voters to the polls. Sam Stevenson was elected director in place of Ed Cooper. Nearly everyone here is buying their next year's coal of C.A.Hedges, who has had two car loads in so far. (Coal was short the last winter.)

THE POTATO HOARDER: The food administration is just now urging the people of this country to buy and eat more potatoes in order to prevent the loss of a large share of last year's crop still on hand and also for the purpose of conserving the supply of scarcer foodstuffs.

Last year's potato crop was one of the largest ever raised in this country and if the growers and the dealers had been satisfied with a just and fair profit, there is little doubt but that the consumption would have been much larger, and that the immense crop would have been disposed of without the necessity of the food administration making a plea for the people to eat more potatoes. The profiteer was, however, allowed to have a free hand and the most shameless hoarding was resorted to in order to keep up the price.

As a result there is a prospect that considerable percentage of one of last year's staple food crops will be allowed to rot while the grim spectra of famine stalks abroad in the world. (Editorial comment).

LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: Frank H. Smith and Mrs. Nancy Norris, both of Oquawka, were united in marriage on April 22nd. Oliver Chandler of Fort Collins, Colo. arrived to look after his farming interest in the Terre Haute neighborhood. Earl Beardsley went to Moline and drove home a new light 6-5 passenger Viele car. Rev. Bliss, the M.E. minister at Oquawka, has been obliged to give up his duties and enter a Peoria hospital for treatment. At the school election J.W.Hicks won; interest was slight with but eight votes cast. Claude Doty has been put in charge of the Hancock county War Fund Campaign. Charles Fort, who has been in the officers' training school at Camp Custer near Battle Creek, Mich, completed his course. He ranked sixth among all those in training and in examination he was high man in a class of about 200.

LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: T.C.Knutstrom left for Flint, Mich., to bring home another new car. Cotton Hurd has returned from Camp Dodge to recuperate from an appendicitis operation. R.N.Clark of Media Township, Chairman of the Henderson County Farm Bureau, will be one of the speakers at the Good Roads Meeting to held in Monmouth. Lloyd Rhykerd, who was first sent to San Antonio, has been transferred to Geratner Field at Lake Charles, La. Not a single acquaintance is with him so he is making new ones. An exciting time was had during a storm when lightning struck the tent next to the one he was in killing one man and badly injuring another.C.L. Hiatt, new agent for the Santa Fe at Stronghurst, accompanied by his wife and her mother, narrowly escaped what might have proven a fatal accident Tuesday evening.

They were driving on to the approach to the bridge over a deep ravine near the residence of Charles Pogue, their automobile skidded and ran against the end of the bridge. They came within an ace of going over the embankment, but were fortunate enough to escape. Their automobile was considerably damaged and it took until 11 p.m. to make repairs. A passing auto towed them into Media and the ladies enjoyed the entertainment, but Mr. Hiatt was busy getting repairs made in time to return home. Meloan's Hall was packed to its greatest capacity and the entertainment is said to have been excellent. The play " Claim Allowed" was given at Smithshire the following evening.

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: Charles Pogue was elected school director to fill Mrs. Colegrove's place. Homer Woods was accompanied by his little sister when he went to his home in Missouri. A large crowd attended the home talent play and a sum of over $40 was realized.